Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Jesus Christ hates Proposition 8

Let me ask you a very serious question.

If you are a heterosexual and you are married and have a job and a couple of kids and a house with a white picket fence and so on and so on, etc. etc., then why in the world would you possibly care whether or not two old queens get married?

Really ... why the fuck do you care?

This kind of intolerance just makes me sick. How can gay marriage possibly affect you in any way, shape or form?

And don't you dare invoke religion. Don't even think about it. I went to church for many, many years and the only thing I remember about it is that Jesus Christ taught his disciples to be tolerant of others. I think that's right, isn't it?

For the record, I support gay marriage. I support gay marriage because I am capable of empathizing with a person who may encounter the following scenario:
  • A man gets a phone call at work. His partner of 25 years has just been admitted to the hospital. He frantically rushes to the emergency room, only to be denied any of the visiting privileges a normal spouse would receive. His partner dies. He is not entitled to anything. The city, state and country he resides in refuse to acknowledge his relationship to the deceased.

Aren't we a little bit more enlightened than this? Does this fall in line with Christ's teachings of love, tolerance and forgiveness?

Do you really care whether or not a gay couple gets married? And if you do, do you think you could try and get a life in the not-to-distant future? Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment